HOW TO MAKE TOPICAL CBD OIL?
The potential therapeutic benefits of CBD and other members of the cannabinoid family have been widely utilized in several ways. At the time of writing this article, the ability of CBD to interact with the endocannabinoid system to bring about pain relief, reduction in anxiety and depression, and internal balance have been widely discussed by several researchers. Information from research has shown how CBD may play critical roles in producing excellent activities similar to anti-inflammatory, anticancer, antioxidant, antidepressant, and anti-tumor agents.
The interaction between CBD and the endocannabinoid system has been the bases of combining CBD with common day-to-day items like lotions, creams, energy drinks, tea, gummies, and cookies. In this article, we shall look at topical CBD oils, how they are made, their potential benefits, and possible precautions to observe while using them.
What is Topical CBD oil?
As the name implies, a topical CBD oil can be described as CBD products primarily formulated to be applied to the skin. These come in the form of hemp topicals, CBD vapes, CBD hemp oil tinctures, lotions, creams, and rubs. They can interact with the ECS receptors in the skin to produce several health benefits capable of keeping the skin refreshed and free diseases. Hemp topicals may come in the form of Full-spectrum or broad-spectrum CBD oils and tinctures to offer users with a varying concentration of chemicals that can promote skin health.
How do they act?
When CBD and other hemp-based products are applied to the skin (topically), they interact with the ECS receptors in the skin to provide several benefits to the users. Some of the commonly encountered benefits of CBD topical oils are listed below.
- Delayed signs of aging
CBD comes in handy in neutralizing the harmful effects of free radicals, thus promoting internal balance and delaying the signs of aging. Apart from this activity, CBD lotions can also play a significant role in removing blackheads and clearing skin-related conditions like acne. CBD lotions can delay the appearance of wrinkles.
- Protection from UV radiation
Researchers have discovered how CBD can form a protective layer over the skin, thus keeping safe from the harmful activities of UV radiation. This protective layer may also come in handy in promoting moisture retention in users, thereby keeping the skin moist and well lubricated. CBD creams and lotions are rich in terpenes, fatty acids like omega 3, 6, and 9. They act to keep the skin hydrated by forming a protective layer that retains moisture and protects the skin from the harmful effects of UV radiation.
- Antimicrobial activity
CBD skincare products may provide some antimicrobial activity on bacterial and fungal species. It can keep the skin protected from the activities of pathogenic microorganisms and their toxins.
- Excellent anti-inflammatory properties
The anti-inflammatory activity of CBD has been widely discussed by several scientists. The interaction between and the endocannabinoid receptors in the skin can serve to modulate the activities of the immune system, thus keeping the body free from possible inflammation-induced reactions on the skin.
How can I make topical CBD oil?
The quality of topical CBD oils depends on the type of CBD hemp oil tincture used, and the additives utilized in the product. Please note that the items listed in the procedure are strictly for research purposes and can be improved upon. If you intend to make your own hemp topicals at home, then here is how to go about it.
- Dried or ground cannabis (7-10 grams should do just fine for this experiment)
- Coconut oil (1 ½ cups)
- Olive oil (1/3 cups). Please note that this is optional as olive oil serves as a carrier oil for the CBD molecules and can be replaced with coconut or MCT oil.
- Beeswax (1/3 cups)
- 1 baking sheet
- 1 saucepan or double boiler
- 1 jar
- 1 cheesecloth
- Essential oil (this should be decided depending on your taste and the proposed fragrance).
STEP I: creating your CBD salve
- Preheat your oven to 115 degrees Celsius or 240 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Spread your ground or dried cannabis on a baking sheet and place it in the preheated oven to decarboxylate for 25-30 minutes. This process of decarboxylation converts THCA into THC and makes your CBD hemp tincture oils more edible or less toxic to the skin. It also prevents the growth of bacterial species in the CBD hemp oil tincture.
- Place your olive oil and coconut oil in a double boiler or saucepan over low heat and stir continuously to obtain a constant mixture.
- Add your decarboxylated ground or dried CBD from step one to the mixture in step two and stir over low heat for 20-25 minutes. It is recommended that you keep the heat very low since high heat can damage cannabis and burn off the THC. Treating cannabis at high temperatures will reduce the oil's potency and overate some heat-sensitive components of the plant.
- Remove the heat and pour the mixture through a cheesecloth into the jar and allow it to settle.
- Using the same double boiler or saucepan, make a mixture of beeswax and infused coconut oil. Just place the beeswax on the pan and allow it to melt. Make sure you add the infused coconut slowly.
- Add a few drops of your essential oils to the mixture in (vi) above. The commonly utilized and recommended essential oils are tea tree, peppermint, lavender oils. Remove the heat after obtaining an even mixture and transfer it into containers for your infused salve.
STEP-II: making CBD lotion or cream
To convert your salve into a CBD infused cream or lotion, the following ingredients will be needed.
- One cup of aloe vera gel
- A teaspoon of vitamin E oil
- Two tablespoons of cocoa butter or shea butter.
Note that the amount of oil in your CBD salve tends to determine the fluidity of your CBD infused lotions or creams. Also bear in mind that your lotion will be fairly thick; hence, putting it in a lotion pump may be a bad idea. You can use containers for cannabis flowers for your CBD topicals and lotions.
What is the shelf life of CBD topical oils?
The average shelf life of your CBD topical oils may differ from one product to the other. In most cases, it is recommended that usage should not exceed six months after first use. Please contact your CBD company or read the product label for instruction about the shelf life of your topical CBD oil.
How can I store my CBD topical oil?
Too much exposure to light and heat may affect the quality of your CBD topicals over time. Hence, it is highly recommended that you keep your hemp topicals in a cool and dry place.
Can I add additives to my Hemp topicals?
The proposed use of your CBD topical will determine the categories of additives to include in your hemp topicals or CBD hemp oil tincture. Here are some common additives you should consider including in your CBD topical.
- Arthritis relief:
If you are interested in obtaining pain relief from a chronic level of arthritis, then you can add a teaspoon of cayenne pepper to the CBD salve. Make sure you keep this CBD topical away from your eyes.
- Sleep-related conditions
The activity of CBD topicals to induce sleep can be enhanced in the presence of chamomile oil and rose petals or tea leaves. They tend to create the perfect conditions for a calm and relaxing balm. You can apply these topicals to the soles of your feet before going to bed.
- Relief from Headache
These are great for migraines and other forms of chronic headaches. To achieve this, add 15-20 drops each of eucalyptus, tea tree, lavender, and peppermint oil to your coconut and beeswax mixture. Apply the topical sparingly on the nape of your neck and temple for the best relief.
- Tinted lip balm:
For your tinted lip balm, you can add frozen raspberries to your coconut oil and beeswax mixture.
Should I worry about any side effects?
The use of CBD topicals is completely safe and does not tamper with your psychoactive activities. It does not produce any life-threatening side effects, thus making it great for all users.
CBD topicals offer one of the best ways to administer CBD without dealing with the bitter taste of terpenes and other chemicals present in the CBD hemp oil and tinctures. Their ability to interact with the ECS receptors in the skin is great for providing pain relief, improved sleep, reduced levels of anxiety, delay the sign of aging, and prevents against the appearance of blackheads and acne.
Feel free to browse through our list of CBD topical and other CBD products for one that suits your taste. Don’t also forget to contact us if you have questions on the use of CBD topicals and how to make them. We will love to hear from you soon at Young Ideas Distribution.